Thursday 12th September

After a well-deserved sleep, with some of us even needing waking up at half past seven, we awoke to grey skies.  After an amazing breakfast we hurried to get ready for our next adventure.  The rain may have been pouring from the sky but there was no chance that was going to bother us.

Two groups soon were marching up the nature trail to reach the amazing show cave, with the added promise that we could finally spend our £5!  The cave not only allowed us to shelter from the pouring rain but offered an amazing experience of being able to stand in a cavern formed by rock which was 350 million years old.

The other groups had set off in minibus for an experience a few miles down the roads.  It was like driving through the clouds, meaning the journey was even more of an adventure as we couldn’t quite work out where we were going!  The mightily impressive Ribblehead Viaduct was the destination for two groups for their caving adventure.  There were quite a few confused faces as we couldn’t see the entrance to the cave and there certainly was no shop!   After a squelchy walk, we saw a hole in the ground before realising that was what we had to squeeze through!  The next hour was amazing, the caves were a twisting, turning maze where we had to duck, squeeze and we got wetter than we would ever have done just by standing out in the rain!  There were challenges for the more adventurous, with the slide into the water being our most favourite by far.

Many of us experienced the Yordas adventure at some point in the day, the rain making this even more memorable.   Working our way up a steep hill we ventured into a cave with a river flowing through it, which was only the start.  The next step was scrambling up rocks for nearly an hour, finally climbing on all fours to reach the sight of an amazing waterfall.  The downward path was a slippery one but with great teamwork and encouragement we all made it safely.

Staying closer to home was the Norber group who braved the conditions to trek towards the collection of boulders known as the erratics.  The steep climb, which started the walk, made many of us puff and pant as we passed through some quite spectacular tunnels.  After 5 minutes it got much easier and a couple of hours were spent walking through the impressive, but soggy and cloudy countryside.

The highlight of the day was the moment the skies cleared at night and the call came through the walkie talkie that the bonfire had been lit and the rain had stopped.  We sat as we watched the dancing flames, toasted marshmallows and sang songs.

It is all a little quiet now, the action packed day has taken its toll and we are beginning to dream about our final adventure in the morning.  Of course we are missing home, but we are not quite ready to come home yet…

Leave a reply