You can navigate through our Curriculum section by clicking on the menu at the top right of the page.
Our Vision for English
At Pudsey Bolton Royd Primary School, we recognise that the acquisition of English, both spoken and written, will empower our pupils and provide the foundation for all future learning. We aim to develop pupils’ skills through a cohesive and creative English curriculum; a curriculum designed to fit the needs of our children and reflect our diverse community whilst also incorporating all elements of the National Curriculum: spoken language, reading and writing.
Our English curriculum teaches key knowledge and skills through discrete phonics lessons (based around the core scheme Read Write Inc), reading lessons and English lessons, as well as embedding these skills across the broader curriculum. Equipping children to engage with, understand and appreciate the spoken and written word underpins all our English teaching. Children are exposed to a wide range of texts, including stories, poems and non-fiction pieces, and are given opportunities to respond to these texts in a variety of ways.
Our curriculum is designed to provide opportunities for pupils to make connections across all learning in all subjects, with the English curriculum, underpinned by high-quality texts, sitting at the heart of this learning. High-quality tuition in English will enable pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others, and through their reading and listening others can communicate with them.
- To provide a language-rich environment for all children and promote a positive culture of reading and writing
- To develop children’s speaking and listening skills so that they can express and share their views and ideas clearly and confidently, as well as listen and understand others competently
- To develop and continue to widen children’s vocabulary whilst giving them tools to analyse and understand new words in context
- To develop the key skills in segmenting and blending so that children are equipped with the knowledge to be able to decode words and read for meaning
- To develop every child’s reading fluency so that they read aloud clearly with confidence
- To develop children’s basic and higher order reading and comprehension skills
- To develop in children an interest in books and a good knowledge of authors that will support their learning across the curriculum and will also enrich their lives
- To teach children the skills and techniques for writing so they can construct well-crafted pieces for a range of purposes and audiences
- To fully meet the requirements of the National Curriculum programmes of study for English at Key Stage 1 and 2 and the revised Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
Our Long-Term Plan for English
You can read our long-term plans for learning by selecting one of the documents below:
Our Reading Spines
You can read the list of books that we recommend pupils have here:
Nursery's Reading Spine